The NUS Master of Science (MSc) in Industry 4.0 is a multidisciplinary graduate degree programme to help you keep pace with the changing nature of industries amid technological disruptions, and lead transformation to enhance productivity in the workplace.
It boasts a curriculum where learning takes place both inside the classroom and out in the industry, tapping on the deep expertise of six NUS academic units in areas pertinent to Industry 4.0:
The curriculum is also specifically designed in accordance with the Singapore Economic Development Board’s (EDB) Singapore Smart Industry Readiness Index to further aid companies in transforming their capabilities through their human capital, and support Singapore’s drive towards becoming a Smart Nation.
The NUS MSc in Industry 4.0 is offered on both a full-time and part-time basis.
To apply for admission to the NUS MSc in Industry 4.0 programme, applicants should possess a bachelor's degree - preferably with Honours - in Science, Engineering, Computing, Analytics or equivalent disciplines, and knowledge of programming (Applicants may be required to complete a programming course to demonstrate their programming competency on a case-by-case basis).
For applicants whose medium of university instruction is not English, they are required to demonstrate their English proficiency by possessing a minimum TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of 85 (Internet-based) or a minimum IELTS (International English Language Testing System) Academic score of 6.0.
Students are likely to take between 12 and 18 months to complete the programme if they enrol on a full-time basis, or between 18 and 36 months on a part-time basis.
The NUS MSc in Industry 4.0 is a 40-modular credit (MC) programme that comprises three components:
- Five core modules that are unique to this programme (16.5 MCs)
- Each module consists of a 130-hour workload with pre-class readings, assignments, tests and/or projects, and face-to-face classes.
- The duration of each semester is likely to stretch across 13 weeks, or a series of short courses that take up at least five full days
- One graduate certificate, along with additional elective modules (20 MCs). Please refer to the graduate certificate awarding faculty for the completion requirements.
- Final-year Industry Application Project with supervision from relevant NUS academic unit (3.5 MCs)
- This capstone project is meant to help students apply what they have learnt to companies in areas of operations concerning Industry 4.0.
- Working in teams and in consultation with the relevant NUS academic unit, students would develop a prototype solution based on an implemented project in a company, craft a report about it and then present it for evaluation at the end of the module.
To graduate from the MSc (Industry 4.0) programme, students are required to:
- Complete 20 MCs of Core modules and 20 MCs of Elective modules and;
- Complete one Graduate Certificate (Refer to the awarding faculty for the completion requirements) and;
- Maintain a minimum Cumulative Average Point (CAP) of 3.0 (maximum out of 5.0).
Click here for information on Core Modules, Graduate Certificates and Elective Modules
Intake & Application Period
|| Singapore Citizens and Singapore Permanent Residents
|Online Application Opens
||15 November 2020
|Online Application Closes
||15 March 2021
||15 April 2021
Singaporeans and Singapore PRs may enjoy tuition fee subsidies.
• There is a non-refundable and non-transferable application fee of S$50 (inclusive of GST).
• Apart from tuition fees, there is a Student Services Fee (as published by NUS Registrar’s Office) payable every regular semester.
• Admission to the programme is granted on a competitive basis as places in the programme are limited. A non-refundable and non-transferable acceptance fee of S$5,000 - which will be credited towards your tuition fees - is payable upon acceptance of offer.
• All fees quoted here are exclusive of prevailing GST, unless otherwise stated. The University reserves all rights to review fees as necessary and adjust accordingly without prior notice.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click on the links below for more information:
Considering that Industry 4.0 is very broad and extends across various industries and sectors, what does the curriculum for the programme cover?
The MSc in Industry 4.0 is an interdisciplinary programme that taps on the deep expertise of six NUS academic units, namely: the Faculty of Engineering, the Faculty of Science, the Institute of Systems Science, the School of Business, the School of Computing, and the School of Continuing and Lifelong Education. It was designed in alignment with the Singapore Economic Development Board’s (EDB) Smart Industry Readiness Index, to support Singapore’s drive towards becoming a Smart Nation.
The programme aims to equip its graduates with an in-depth appreciation of the technologies defining the latest industrial revolution, as well as how they are transforming organisations and impacting business processes and functions.
Apart from the technical skills and knowledge they need to keep pace with the latest developments, graduates can also expect to gain a holistic, “big picture” perspective of Industry 4.0, extending beyond their current work and study areas. This shift will enable them to be more effective in their work roles, and to contribute to their organisation’s digital transformation journey.
The programme also features a six-month-long capstone project, where a team of students work on a project sponsored by an actual company. Capstone projects may span different areas, including Internet of Things (IOT), data analytics across various sectors, digital supply chain, and cloud computing.
Offered on both a full-time and part-time basis, the programme is taught by world-class NUS faculty, as well as industry practitioners with extensive field experience.
Can you tell me more about the courses I must take to demonstrate my programming competency to meet the admission requirements for this programme?
The programme includes Graduate Certificates as part of the elective modules; how many certificates will I earn upon completion of the programme?
Upon completing the MSc in Industry 4.0 programme, students will be awarded at least one Graduate Certificate along with the Master’s Degree.
What does the Industry Consulting and Application Project entail?
The Industry Consulting and Applications Project (4 MCs) is a final-year capstone module specifically designed to help students apply what they have learnt to companies in areas of operations concerning Industry 4.0. Working in teams and in consultation with the relevant NUS academic unit, students will develop a prototype solution based on an implemented project in a company, craft a report about it, and then present it for evaluation at the end of the module.
Organisations participating in this initiative include multi-national corporations and Small-to-Medium Enterprises (SMEs) from both the public and private sectors (such as Dell, Micron, and JTC, to name a few).
What are the career prospects and pathways for a graduate of the programme?
The MSc in Industry 4.0 programme aims to nurture a generation of change-makers and leaders who are capable of taking prominent roles in shaping how organisations and society will respond to the latest industrial revolution, which focuses on the digitalisation of manufacturing and business processes to increase productivity, improve efficiency, and develop new sales opportunities.
The curriculum for the programme is aligned to the Smart Industry Readiness Index (SIRI), which was created by the Economic Development Board (EDB) to help manufacturers on their transformation journeys as part of Singapore’s drive towards becoming a Smart Nation. Because of this, graduates of the programme can expect to be prepared for a breadth of careers in a range of different fields, even as Industry 4.0 continues to gather pace.
Some of the top careers enjoyed by current students and graduates of the programme include:
- Control Systems Engineer
- Automation Engineer
- Validation Engineer
- Equipment Systems Engineer
- Data Scientist
- Robotics Engineer
- PLC Programmer
- Systems Integrator
- IT Solution Architect
- UI and UX Designer
- Project Manager
- App Developer
For enquiries, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.