The National University of Singapore (NUS) Master of Science in Digital Financial Technology (MSc DFinTech) is jointly offered by the NUS School of Computing and NUS Business School.
Financial technology (abbreviated as FinTech) refers to a broad spectrum of technologies and innovations that are being used to improve and automate the delivery of financial services. The FinTech industry has grown explosively in the last decade, with the advances being made in cloud computing, data analytics and artificial intelligence (AI).
To meet surging demand for high quality FinTech talent in Singapore and globally, this new flagship graduate programme in FinTech is designed to help students build a strong foundation in computing and finance, and features a range of elective modules organised along three tracks: Computing Technologies, Financial Data Analytics and Intelligence, and Digital Financial Transactions and Risk Management.
The programme is intended primarily to help prepare graduates for challenging but rewarding careers as AI software developers, data scientists, FinTech security specialists, financial quantitative analysts and other similar professions in financial institutions or FinTech firms.
Why This Programme?
Build a solid foundation in FinTech with a programme backed by NUS School of Computing and the NUS Business School, both of which are ranked among the best schools in their subject areas1.
Optimise learning with a customisable curriculum; choose electives according to one of three tracks or based on personalised needs, and decide which capstone project option is a better fit—an academic research project conducted under the supervision of our accomplished faculty, or an internship with a FinTech company to gain practical industry experience.
Prepare for a career in the fast-growing FinTech sector such as a Blockchain Developer, Financial Analyst or FinTech Product Specialist.
1 QS World University Rankings by Subject 2022
APPLICATION FOR ADMISSION
An Academic Year (AY) at NUS consists of two semesters and a special term (which occurs during the Semester 2 Vacation, and is divided into two parts of six weeks duration each):
- Semester 1: Aug–Dec
- Semester 2: Jan–May
- Special Term (Part 1): May–Jun
- Special Term (Part 2): Jun–Jul
For the MSc in DFinTech programme, there is one application period for each AY:
|MSc in DFinTech
|1 Nov of year preceding the intake year to 31 Jan of the intake year
Admission to the NUS MSc in DFinTech programme is granted on a competitive basis as places in the programme are limited. Applicants should possess the following minimum requirements:
Note: Applicants are responsible for ensuring that application information and all supporting documents are truthful and correct. NUS reserves the right to verify information provided as part of an application. False or misleading information in an application (including but not limited to test scores, resumes, certificates, transcripts, etc.) is grounds for admission rejection, revocation and/or dismissal from the University.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computing, or
- Bachelor's Degree in a related discipline (such as Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM), Finance, Economics or Business)
Note: Candidates with academic qualifications other than the above may be considered on a case-by-case basis, subject to approval by the department
Python programming knowledge and/or learning in advanced quantitative subjects
For holders of Bachelor’s Degrees in related disciplines (see above), two years of Fintech or information technology (IT) industry experience
|Applicants whose medium of university instruction is not completely in English:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) minimum score of 90 (Internet-based), or
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) minimum Academic score 6.0
Note: TOEFL / IELTS scores are valid for two years from the test date and should not have expired at point of application. Expired scores will not be considered for the application.
- Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) minimum scores of 320 (Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning) and 3.5 (Analytical Writing), or
- Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) minimum score of 700, or
- Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) scores for graduates from Indian universities.
* GRE/GMAT/GATE preferred, but not required.
Candidates may be required to sit for other tests as prescribed by the School.
Note: GRE scores are valid for five years from the test date and should not have expired at point of application. Expired scores will not be considered for the application.
MODE OF STUDY AND PROGRAMME CANDIDATURE
The NUS MSc in DFinTech programme is offered on the following basis (with estimated time to complete the programme indicated below):
Note: International applicants must be accepted into an approved full-time course in Singapore to apply for a Student’s Pass. For more information, refer to the Singapore Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) website.
|| 18 months
|| 30 months
To graduate from the NUS MSc in DFinTech programme, students must meet the following requirements:
|Programme and/or Specialisation
Read and pass a total of 52 MCs, comprising:
- 28 MCs of core/essential modules
- 12 MCs of elective modules
- 12 MCs of capstone project
|Module and/or Qualification
|Cumulative Average Point (CAP)
Minimum 3.0 (out of maximum 5.0)
Please see also the University’s minimum standards for Continuation and Graduation Requirements specific programmes may implement stricter or additional requirements.
FEES AND FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE
Kindly note that all fees for the NUS MSc in DFinTech programme quoted on this page are exclusive of prevailing GST, unless otherwise stated (GST rate will be increased from (i) 7% to 8% with effect from 1 Jan 2023; and (ii) 8% to 9% with effect from 1 Jan 2024). The University reserves all rights to review fees as necessary and adjust accordingly without prior notice.
(excluding GST) /
From S$65,880.00 (including 8% GST) to S$66,490.00 (including 9% GST)*
* A range is being shown here because the exact amount will vary due to the GST rate increase. To learn more, click here.
Note: The tuition fee stated above is for 52 MCs. Students who are required to take more than 52 MCs for programme completion are subject to supplementary tuition fees.
Starting AY2023/2024, tuition fee rebates will be provided for this programme as an NUS Master's Degree by Coursework programme not subsidised by the government:
• All Singaporeans and Singapore PRs will receive a 10% tuition fee rebate
• All NUS alumni will receive an additional 5% tuition fee rebate
Students in this programme have in the past been eligible for, or received funding support from:
• Singapore Digital (SG:D) Scholarship (Postgraduate) (Singapore Citizens only) — An industry scholarship offered by the Infocomm Media Development Authority that empowers individuals interested in pursuing Infocomm Media-related studies at the Master's or PhD level
• Full-Tuition-Fee-Waived Scholarships (ASEAN and Singapore Citizens only) — Competitive merit-based scholarship provided by AIDF to up to two awardees (awardees cannot accept other forms of scholarship or sponsorship); no separate application required; all MSc DFinTech programme applicants who are ASEAN or Singapore Citizens and have obtained at least a Second Upper Class Honours Degree or equivalent in relevant disciplines will be automatically considered
• MSc DFinTech Study Awards (Singapore Citizens and Singapore Permanent Residents only) — Competitive merit-based award provided by AIDF in the sum of S$10,000 to S$20,000 to approximately five awardees (awardees cannot accept other forms of scholarship or sponsorship); no separate application required; all MSc DFinTech programme applicants who are Singapore Citizens or Singapore Permanent Residents and have obtained at least a Second Upper Class Honours Degree or equivalent in relevant disciplines will be automatically considered
For more about loans and other financial assistance, please refer to the NUS Office of Admissions.
S$100.93 (including 8% GST, with effect from 1 Jan 2023);
S$101.87 (including 9% GST, with effect from 1 Jan 2024)
- Non-refundable and non-transferable
- Limited to one application submission per intake, for up to a maximum of five programmes/courses per application
S$5,000.00 (excluding GST)
- Payable upon acceptance of offer
- Non-refundable and non-transferable
- Will be credited towards tuition fees
|Miscellaneous Student Fees
As published by NUS Registrar’s Office
- Payable every regular semester