The National University of Singapore (NUS) Master of Science in Engineering Design & Innovation (MSc EDI) is offered by the Engineering Design and Innovation Centre at the NUS College of Design and Engineering.
The MSc EDI is a unique programme developed to meet the challenges of the 21st century. Designed for professionals who already have working knowledge in their own respective disciplines, the programme trains students to work together, making the most of their creativity and passion to solve societal challenges such as environmental sustainability, global warming, garbage overload, transportation congestion and many others.
The programme is anchored by three core courses—comprising Design Thinking & Product Development, Engineering Systems Design, and a major multi-disciplinary design project (which will span two semesters and typically involve a multi-disciplinary team working on an industrial problem). Students also have a wide selection of electives to choose from (these are grouped into three verticals: Design, Enterprise and Technology).
The programme is unique in that it brings together ideas from industrial design and complex engineering systems to deliver solutions that are holistic and that meet the needs of stakeholders. The electives allow students to explore their passions in different areas and contribute to the major design project.
Why This Programme?
Cultivate an entrepreneurial mind-set to participate in design and innovation activities—much needed to enable value creation in any organisation.
Develop an understanding of technology-based design and innovation strategies, and apply design thinking and product design methodologies to develop innovative solutions.
Gain multi-disciplinary perspectives and broader experiences (beyond individual comfort zones), and develop the skills to work effectively in multi-disciplinary teams with extensive opportunities to hone communications skills.
APPLICATION FOR ADMISSION
An Academic Year (AY) at NUS consists of two semesters and a special term (which occurs during the Semester 2 Vacation, and is divided into two parts of six weeks duration each):
- Semester 1: Aug–Dec
- Semester 2: Jan–May
- Special Term (Part 1): May–Jun
- Special Term (Part 2): Jun–Jul
For the MSc EDI programme, there is one application period for each AY:
|1 Oct of preceding year to 31 Mar of the intake year
*The period between mid-May and mid-Aug, i.e. the Special Terms, is when students in the MSc EDI programme should be working on the major design project.
Admission to the NUS MSc EDI programme is granted on a competitive basis as places in the programme are limited. Applicants should possess the following minimum requirements:
Note: Applicants are responsible for ensuring that application information and all supporting documents are truthful and correct. NUS reserves the right to verify information provided as part of an application. False or misleading information in an application (including but not limited to test scores, resumes, certificates, transcripts, etc.) is grounds for admission rejection, revocation and/or dismissal from the University.
Bachelor’s Degree (preferably with Honours) in Engineering, Computing, Business Studies, Industrial Design or equivalent disciplines
Any significant experience in prototyping will be considered; please include a statement to describe the prototype, the purpose of the prototype, the skills learned, etc.
Design Portfolios (if any) will also be considered.
Applicants whose native tongue and medium of university instruction is not completely in English*:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) minimum score of 85 (Internet-based), or
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) minimum Academic score 6.0
* English Language requirement may be waived for applicants who have completed degree programmes taught entirely in English in one of the following countries : Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, India, New Zealand, Singapore, the United Kingdom or the United States of America. For applicants who have completed degree programmes taught entirely in English in countries other than those noted above, please provide proof of the undergraduate degree being taught entirely in English, in order to be considered for waiver of the English Language requirement.
TOEFL / IELTS scores are valid for two years from the test date and should not have expired at point of application. Expired scores will not be considered for the application.
MODE OF STUDY AND PROGRAMME CANDIDATURE
The NUS MSc EDI programme is offered on the following basis (with estimated time to complete the programme indicated below):
Note: International applicants must be accepted into an approved full-time course in Singapore to apply for a Student’s Pass. For more information, refer to the Singapore Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) website.
To graduate from the NUS MSc EDI programme, students must meet the following requirements:
|Programme and/or Specialisation
Read and pass a total of 40 Units, comprising:
- 24 Units of core/essential courses, and
- 16 Units of elective courses
|Course and/or Qualification
Complete at least one elective course from each of the three verticals (Design, Enterprise and Design).
|Grade Point Average (GPA)
Minimum 3.0 (out of maximum 5.0)
Please see also the University’s minimum standards for Continuation and Graduation Requirements specific programmes may implement stricter or additional requirements.
FEES AND FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE
Kindly note that all fees for the NUS MSc EDI programme quoted on this page are exclusive of prevailing GST, unless otherwise stated (GST rate will be increased from 8% to 9% with effect from 1 Jan 2024). The University reserves all rights to review fees as necessary and adjust accordingly without prior notice.
(excluding GST) /
S$56,680.00 (including 9% GST)
Tuition fee rebates will be provided for this programme (these are non-stackable, i.e. each student will receive only one tuition fee rebate) as follows:
• Alumni of the Engineering Design and Innovation Centre (EDIC) (graduates of the Design-Centric curriculum / Design-Centric programme / Innovation & Design programme) will receive a 60% tuition fee rebate
• NUS alumni will receive a 25% tuition fee rebate
• Singaporeans and Singapore PRs (non-NUS alumni) will receive a 20% tuition fee rebate
S$60.00 (including 8% GST, with effect from 1 Jan 2023)
- Non-refundable and non-transferable
S$2,160.00 (including 8% GST, with effect from 1 Jan 2023);
S$2,180.00 (including 9% GST, with effect from 1 Jan 2024)
- Payable upon acceptance of offer
- Non-refundable and non-transferable
- Will be credited towards tuition fees
|Miscellaneous Student Fees
As published by NUS Registrar’s Office
- Payable every regular semester