The Master of Science (Maritime Technology and Management) or MSc (MTM) seeks to train and equip graduates with key skillsets to enable next-generation port capabilities in Singapore, such as industrial systems development, big data analytics tools, and emerging port technologies (e.g., digitalisation to train workers). The MSc (MTM) alumni community will function as touchpoints which the Centre for Maritime Studies (CMS) and the Department of Industrial Systems Engineering and Management (ISEM) can capitalise for future collaboration between industry and research.
Singapore strives to be the Global Maritime Hub for Connectivity, Innovation, and Talent, and a hub of excellence for shipping, port, offshore, and maritime-related businesses. We envision to be the International Maritime Centre (IMC). Singapore hopes to leverage on cutting-edge systems and infrastructure to become a key node in the global maritime network. Additionally, the industry sees the need for strong innovative players and a talented workforce equipped with future-ready skills and a global mindset. The MSc (MTM) aims to nurture talent with strong analytics expertise to prepare the maritime industry towards digitalisation and technology innovation. In line with government’s directives, the MSc (MTM) aims to develop a strong maritime innovation ecosystem at local, regional and global levels. Graduates will be equipped with skillsets enabling the next-generation maritime and logistics capabilities in Singapore and worldwide, including the latest data analytics, port, maritime and logistics technologies.
WHY STUDY THIS PROGRAMME?
The main features that distinguish our programme from existing graduate programs in maritime studies are:
- A 15-week internship practicum (for full-time students) in a maritime-related company which aims to provide students with the opportunity to integrate knowledge and theory on maritime technology and management acquired during the programme in a practical setting.
- A maritime team project (for part-time students) in a maritime related topic that is of current relevance to the maritime and adjacent industries. Part-time team projects will be purposeful and be deeply integrated with core maritime content and practices. Students will imbibe the innovative spirit that is needed for creative technological solutions to be developed.
- A deep focus on programming methodology, statistics, machine learning and data mining/analytics.
- Good blend to international mix.
- Strong support from industry, including the Singapore Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore and PSA Singapore.
- Seminars, workshops and industry visits would be arranged with industry partners to broaden the students’ learning experience and provide intense networking opportunities with industry practitioners.
- Job placement assistance.
Admission to this programme is highly competitive and exclusive to ensure high quality course content and delivery, resulting in highly trained, future ready graduates, who can make significant contribution to the maritime industry.
- An undergraduate degree with honours or its equivalent from a good University, preferably from a STEM background; and
- Applicants without an honours degree will be considered for admission based on your average scores during your course of study. These applicants may be requested to attend an interview session. Applicants with evidence of strong technical background and having at least 2 years of working experience in the maritime sector will be an advantage.
- Applicants whose undergraduate degree was not taught exclusively in English are required to submit TOEFL / IELTS scores. The minimum expected scores are:
- 85 for TOEFL internet-based test or
- 6.0 for IELTS (Academic)
Full-time basis: 12 months
Part-time basis: 24 months
The NUS MSc (MTM) is a 40-modular credit (MC) programme that comprises of seven compulsory modules below:
|| Module Title
|| Data Analytics for Industrial Engineers (4 MCs)
|| Applied Programming for Industrial Systems (4 MCs)
|| Maritime Industry Fundamentals (6 MCs)
|| Port Logistics and Supply Chain (4 MCs)
|| Maritime Data Analytics (6 MCs)
|| Intermodal Freight Transport and Logistic (4 MCs)
|| Maritime Industrial Attachment or MTM5101P Maritime Team Project (12 MCs)
Intake & Application Period
Next Intake: August 2021
Application Period: 01 December 2020 – 25 February 2021
excluding GST; before scholarship award
A scholarship award for the inaugural August 2021 intake of the programme in the amount of S$10,000 is available for all new students; an additional S$6,000 is available for Singapore Citizens and Singapore Permanent Residents.
• Singapore Citizens or Singapore Permanent Residents may apply for the MPA’s Maritime Cluster Fund (MCF) support with up to 70% co-funding of the course/tuition fee (excluding GST), subject to a cap. Please refer to MCF Training@MaritimeSingapore for more details.
• There is an application fee of $50.
• A non-refundable and non-transferable acceptance fee of S$2,140 (incl. GST) – which will be credited towards your tuition fees – is payable upon acceptance of offer.
• Apart from tuition fees, there is a Student Services Fee (as published by NUS Registrar’s Office)
payable every regular semester.
• Admission to the programme is granted on a competitive basis as places in the programme are limited.
• All fees quoted here are exclusive of prevailing GST, unless otherwise stated. The University reserves all rights to review fees as necessary and adjust accordingly without prior notice.
For enquiries, please email us at email@example.com.